Aspies are different- Thank God!

I remember as a kid the mantra was ‘be yourself, be proud of who you are. We are different’. I saw it on TV, heard it at school… It was the big thing before ‘just say no’ became the next big thing I always heard. Fast forward 30 years and we hear how we should all be the same.
Aspies are different, and sometimes being different is a good thing!
I find humor in the stereotype that people with Aspergers are different. NT’s say that like it is a bad thing.
We tend to have our ‘quirky’ hobbies and obsessions, we tend to dress differently, we tend to follow our own path. Thankfully we are not as influenced by fads and pop culture as the rest of the world- Thank God!!
Our society these days is stiflingly homogenized and boring- we all have the same looking houses and communities because they’re built by the same faux-hawked hipster on his laptop in LA who just goes “copy>paste” onto every map of every town in America. You can’t tell any suburb in the United States apart from the next, even though they are 3000 miles away. All our furniture is bought from two stores that are all chains. Our education is standardized so we all learn the same thing. The food we eat is homogenized and processed and there are really only 10 chain restaurants anyone eats at in the entire country. There’s no difference between anything anymore. We are all the same generic creature, doing generic things, saying generic things, thinking generically. We all listen to the same music. We watch the same TV shows – does anyone actually ENJOY Honey Boo Boo?!? We are basically the same global clone everywhere we go – you can get off a plane in Warsaw, Dubai, Las Vegas, or London and the only thing that is different about what you see is the language spoken by the McDonald’s worker serving your burger, engineered to taste identical no matter which McDonald’s you go to anywhere in the world. It’s a business model that is replicated by everyone, hotels, restaurants, basically everything is replicated on a global scale to be the same.
We have made the world smaller with the internet, Facebook, and Twitter- yet no one is able to have an original thought. People share the same photos, the same recipes and the same memes. It has become boring!
Globalization has made life suck.Thank God I am different!! I don’t fit in that silly box labeled ‘normal’!! I hate fast food, I listen to Jazz, I smoke a pipe, I live in the countDifferent ry- far away from ‘normal’ people, I dress the way I like, not the way some magazine tells me I should, I hate TV and I find social media lame and boring!
I’m not going to give myself a coronary caring about what people think because I don’t have the “right” phone, wear the “right” clothing, buy the “right” material goods and subscribe to the same boring, generic, lifeless, mindless sheep existence that everyone else does.
In a world that promotes sameness, it is no wonder that the number of people with Aspergers is on the rise.
I’m an Aspie and I think for myself, ironic how that makes me different…

About these ads

11 comments on “Aspies are different- Thank God!

1. hailcthulhu says:

Thank you! I love my Aspergers, even if it does make my life more difficult sometimes. It’s great to find someone else who accepts and embraces it. I’m trying to write to people about how to come to terms with their/ their family member’s diagnosis, and you have just the right attitude.

2. Sally says:

Hello. I’m wondering if you can explain something to me. I dated a man, whom I loved very much, whose behaviour towards me hot and cold. Sometimes he liked my company; other times he treated me like I was a nuisance. In short, after two years of push-me-pull-you, I concluded he was within the spectrum. Everyone who knew him thought he was unkind to me and that I deserved better. I asked him once – the last time he ended our relationship saying he “was no good at relationships” and didn’t know if he wanted to be in one with me – if he was Aspie, and he said probably. The last time he ended it I took it very badly, became both upset and angry, told him he was an asshole for toying with me and abandoned him in a restaurant in an act of despair. After that, he ignored me outright. He never replied to an overture or email. He simply disappeared, and I was devastated because my father died and he never acknowledged my email. I saw him recently after two years, and all the love I always felt came bubbling to the surface. I said I hoped we could be friends now, at long last, and he said he’d try to stay in touch. I recently invited him to an event, and he has ignored my email. He hasn’t even said, “sorry I can’t make it”. It’s as if he only associates with me when he feels like it, if he feels like it. I told him I loved him once, ages ago, and he said he’s not sure if what he feels is love or anxiety. Why does he blow so hot and cold? I simply don’t understand this behaviour pattern.

I know there is no hope. I gave up hoping years ago. And he seems to believe relationships are just not something that will feature in his life. He seemed happy to see me recently, and was smiley. He doesn’t smile often. He struggled with eye contact this time, where he never used to.

I guess what I am asking is, did he ever love me? And why is he ignoring my emails now after saying he’d give friendship a try?

• aspiewarrior says:

That is a very sad story. I am sorry for your pain.
      Let me start by saying I cannot speak for him. I’m not in his head, and we are all individuals. So I can’t answer your question directly.
      It sounds like the two of you need to have a long deep talk. Make sure he can trust you above all else. We tend to see things in black and white. It would be difficult for me to trust someone who abandoned me at a restaurant.
      It often takes a lot of time and commitment to love an Aspie.

3. Curtis says:

“Globalization has made life suck.Thank God I am different!! I don’t fit in that silly box labeled ‘normal’!! I hate fast food, I listen to Jazz, I smoke a pipe, I live in the country far away from ‘normal’ people, I dress the way I like, not the way some magazine tells me I should, I hate TV and I find social media lame and boring!”

I think I know you, saw you in my mirror this morning…:-) I discovered late in life that I was an Aspie (49). I was one of those throwaway kids that now in my aged years find that those hardships experienced are a valuable asset. Some get angry at that late life Aspie discovery, for me it was a joyous occasion. To finally answer the “why” of me-changed my life.

I’m proud of what I am and of those before and present like me. To keep society grounded and offer original thought, is to contribute much indeed.

4. Amy Niagara says:

I am 52 and it has just dawned on me that it isn’t just my older brother who is aspie … I am too! And after 3 days of being sad and alone I realized that I have always been different and I like it that way. All my life I have been the one with ideas and interests and people around me seem like they are ASLEEP at the wheel. I feel like “normal” people are clunking along and I can’t help wondering … Where is their light? Why can’t they follow what I am saying to them? It is though if they have to talk philosophy or ideas or explore a topic they are not familiar that their minds just can’t hack it. I have always felt sorry for people who weren’t really invested in living their lives and now I see that I have that talent – that gift – and they don’t. I am going to research how to speak to 5 year olds and start talking to people from that frame of mind. Ha! Actually that could be a good idea. If this is aspie, then I don’t to be cured. I wonder if it is possible to rebrand aspie as something easier for the public – any ideas for a new name?
    Thanks for your inspiring writing!

• Spencer says:

Oh, yes, NTs can be like that sometimes. It’s not that they’re all idiots or that we’re so much smarter than them, it’s just that they kind of…look at what’s around them, in a non-literal sense (I know we’re supposed to be tough with metaphors but my AS is kind of mild, so I can sort of “get” slang and idioms and such after a while). We tend to look inward and think about stuff, and when we want to talk about those things they’d just rather talk about their current problems–namely, their social lives, which we tend to lack. So we talk about things, which, from our perspective, are much more interesting, and at best they’ll just follow along. I, for example, want to see the world, while my family just sort of is happy where they live.

Not all non-Aspies are like that, though. Just try and find some people that share whatever your interests are.

5. Sharon Rose says:

You tell ‘em, Aspie Warrior. We may be different; we may be in the minority, as aspies, but that doesn’t make our way of living the “wrong” way.

6. Madercasca says:

Aspies are different, and sometimes being different is a good thing!

Being different is neither good nor bad, it is just a matter of fact. People who fear the difference ain’t good at thinking in general. Like everything in life, there are some drawbacks.

7. Spencer says:

Although, I will say that I don’t really like the “It’s a cat, not a defective dog” motivational thing. I get what it’s trying to say, but it’s implying that autistic people are LITERALLY different species. Sometimes I may feel a bit different, but I’m still a human being. My experiences aren’t completely like some other people’s–they just happen to occur within the context of my AS, but it doesn’t define who I am or my personality. It just gives me some mannerisms and a certain way of looking at the world. I want to be MORE than an Aspie, if that makes sense.

A better comparison would be between dog breeds. Just because a Mexican hairless dog is kind of weird-looking doesn’t make it any less of a dog than a German Shepherd, for example. A Mexican hairless dog isn’t a defective German Shepherd.

Or, better yet, Aspies are like vultures (birds were one of my obsessions as a kid). They may look imposing and have ugly heads, but they soar beautifully in the sky and contribute majorly to the ecosystem by eating dead animals. And they’re fearless, not caring about what other animals around them think of them (if vultures are eating a dead animal on the road and you drive your car towards them, they won’t get out of the way until the last minute). Maybe some people don’t like them, but where would we be without them? The world would stink, that’s for sure! :P